Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Tin Can Vase

I like to give flowers to people. When I do I think that they look nicest when they are in a vase, and it seems that when you give someone flowers not in a vase you never get to be the one to arrange them. I have always liked to play around with flowers and arrange them, and think I kind of have a knack for it.

BUT…. Vases are expensive, and if you are not giving them to your mom or someone you are really close to, most the time you don’t want to spring for a vase. Unless it is included with the flowers, and what’s the fun in that?

I came across a good solution to the problem: Tin Cans. On Design Sponge there is a great tutorial for making beautiful tin can vases. When I decided to try to make them it was a spur of the moment decision to take a professor some flowers after she broke her arm during class. So I didn’t have as good materials to work with as the website describes.

For my tin can vase I used some wrapping paper that’s was as similar in color to the bunch of flowers I got at Sam’s club (Hey it was a last minuet thing, don’t judge me.) as I had on hand. I used spray adhesive to attach it (3M super 77) and arranged the flowers in the tin. If I did this over again I probably would have used a shorter can and flowers that hung over the edge more. Although, having chicken wire would probably help. This seems like a good idea for centerpieces for a formal event or even a wedding on a budget, as you can customize the color entirely.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment