Monday, June 24, 2013

Pepper Steak


M's family ween beach camping this past weekend. I don't really care for it, but usually go along, but this year I refused, newborn babies don't need to sleep on the beach. I went to my Grandparents for the weekend (Nana and Papou) because they love seeing their first great grandchild. When I was there we cooked a lot, because Nana was sure that I didn't want to take the baby to a restaurant. While Munchy does fine out in public that was fine with me, you know I love cooking.

This is one of Papou's favorite meals. Just like me he doesn't think that there are many things worthy of eating the next day, and this is one of the dishes he thinks holds up after reheating. Also Nana had been thinking about it since she was in the hospital. she was going off of a recipe so old that no one could really read it, and she still has some speech delays from her stroke last year, so needless to say it was an adventure. I wrote everything down, but just realized that I sent the paper through the wash! Ugh! Here it is to the best of my memory.

Sirloin beef tips (we cut a sirloin into strips, because the meat was better)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1-2 green bell peppers, cut into rings
1-2 Cups chopped mushrooms (optional)
2 cans stewed tomatoes
1 can beef broth
2 Tbs corn starch
2 tsp soy sauce (although Nana called it Worcestershire sauce)
1/4 cup warm water
1 Tbs oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Use one of the 12 in skillets that is wide and has deep walls, or a pot, there is a lot of liquid and stuff here.

In a little olive oil saute onions and garlic until translucent, about 5 min.
Add beef tips and saute until brown.
if using add mushrooms and saute 5-10 min. 
Put in the 2 cans of tomatoes. If you are using whole caned tomatoes cut them up first. Add beef broth and oregano, Bring to boil, then cover and let simmer for 25 min.
Stir in bell peppers, let simmer 5 min. 
 Add corn starch to water, dissolve, add mixture to pot, add soy sauce.( I really think this is optional)
When thickened it is ready

Serve with pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment